16 simple tricks to keep your home organized
|January 8, 2010||Posted by simply stephen under clutter|
In the last article, we touched upon clearing and sharing the clutter in a family or couple. These tricks work for single people too! Here’s a few simple tricks.
- designate rooms for family members and set a timer
- create a contest to see who finishes first – prize and all
- if you must throw stuff on chairs, have a designated one for each of you
- spills should always be dealt with immediately – have a few rags around in the busy rooms.
- a duvet is easier than sheets and blankets
- take your shoes off at the door – reduces the quantity of dust tracked through the house
- splitting your tasks into smaller ones, will help you stop procrastinating
- a small or portable rechargeable vacuum it is easier to maneuver and saves energy
- make it fun to do the cleaning, listen to music, be silly with it and the time will fly by
- on trash day, do a quick check in all the rooms
- clean the bathroom or kitchen counter and stovetop first – it will make everything cleaner and motivate you to finish
- do two things at once, talk on the phone and dust
- soak your pans before you scrub them
- protect your bathroom walls with wax it will reduce soap scum and mold – spraying with vinegar & tea tree oil after each shower will also make cleaning easier and eliminate bacteria
- using a squeegee after every shower will also make cleaning a breeze & reduce mold
- have a scrubber for the toilet that can be used any time there is a “mess” and it will not be a chore to keep it clean.
Remember keeping something clean and tidy is easier than getting it clean.
Come up with a contest & prize for your family (be creative) for tidying up and then share it in the comments or on Twitter.