what to say to someone coping with depression
|September 20, 2011||Posted by simply stephen under depression|
Part 2 of 2 on what to say (and not say) to someone coping with depression
We’ve explored some harmful statements depressed people are exposed too. That tells you what do avoid, but it doesn’t inform you on what can help. You can’t fix someones depression but you can sure offer love and support. We’re here to discover some of those things today.
what to do for a depressed person
When someone is depressed it impacts everyone that cares and quite a few people they contact with such as coworkers and clients. Taking care of your needs first will mean you can provide the needed support for your depressed loved one.
The first thing you need to do is educate yourself to get a greater understanding about the power of depression. It drains a persons energy, desire, strength, attitude and interest in life. It’s not personal but it feels that way…and you can’t fix it. but you can provide support.
Here are 3 general actions you can take along with some examples:
- reassurance – esteem and confidence have gone out the window, so they no longer feel worthy of any love or recognize any positive attributes
- you are not alone, I will always be here for you in good or bad times (I will never abandon you)
- offer a kind word about some of the qualities they possess
- you are not crazy
- again try saying – “if you need a friend, people are here for you, I am here for you”
- help them with regular chores
- don’t demand too much
- drive them to appointments
- look after yourself first “I’m sorry you are in pain, I can take care of myself, so don’t worry about me, I won’t leave you if it cause me any pain too…I’m still here”
- tell them you’ll do whatever it takes
- admit you don’t understand, but are willing to listen and learn
- listen, let them break down, let them cry and then offer us a hug (all or any, this is important)
- I care about you, you are important – tell them you love them
Thank your lucky stars it isn’t you…and then tell us you love us, let us cry, listen to us and give us a hug all over!